1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Babys first Passport

Discussion in 'Life in the UK' started by Ollie3487, Jan 14, 2024.

  1. Ollie3487

    Ollie3487 Member

    Hello All,

    So we had a baby (in the UK) two weeks ago.

    My wife is Filipina in the UK on a BRP and I'm British.

    We got the birth certificate and are now applying for a British passport for the baby, but for the life of me I can't understand what documents we need to send, it says:

    'Parents’ documents
    For 1 of your parents, send 1 of the following:

    • full birth or adoption certificate (showing both the child’s and parents’ details)
    • naturalisation or registration certificate
    • the non-British passport they had when you were born showing indefinite leave to remain
    If any of the following apply, you need to send additional documents (opens in new tab):

    • include a professional, or other title on your passport
    • apply for a British National Overseas (BNO) passport
    • apply for a passport under treaty rights – this means the parents of the person applying for a passport are EU, EEA or Swiss nationals (or are the dependant family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss national) who exercised free movement rights in the UK as a worker, self-employed person, jobseeker, student or self-sufficient person
    • change your gender on your passport
    • get a first UK passport based on your parents’ Crown or Community service
    • get a first UK passport if you were born abroad but adopted in the UK before 1 January 1983
    • get a first UK passport if you were adopted abroad and you haven’t naturalised or registered
    • get a first UK passport if you were born in the Philippines, or your parents are married or divorced and have links to the Philippines
    • apply for a first UK passport if you were born through surrogacy
    • apply for a British Protected Person passport'
    Has anyone been through this and understand what it is they want ?
  2. Br28016

    Br28016 Active Member Trusted Member

    Childs birth certificate to show parents and where child was born. If born in UK to british parent then has british british citizenship.

    Your birth certificate to show that you have british citizenship to pass on.

    Will also want your marriage certificate to show that you were married to childs mother when child was born. Links in with ability to transmit citizenship to child. This is reference to philippines although that mainly applies when applying from there.

    • Like Like x 1
  3. bigmac

    bigmac Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    congratulations on your new arrival.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mattecube

    Mattecube face the sunshine so shadows fall behind you Trusted Member

    Congratulations on the arrival of your child
    Are you applying by post or online (If online the process will tell you what documents to provide)
    If by post the following applies
    As you say the child is born in the UK.

    2 Passport photos check rules of photo standard

    Childs birth certificate

    proof that your child has British nationality (for example a British registration certificate, parent’s passport details or parent’s birth certificates)

    Thats it, guidelines are here

    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ollie3487

    Ollie3487 Member

    Thanks. I called and the support agent wasn't sure either. I just sent everything and it got approved fine.
    • Like Like x 2

Share This Page