1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Schengen Visa - All you wanted to know

Discussion in 'Europe Wide Visa Discussions' started by Micawber, Apr 12, 2011.

  1. Micawber

    Micawber Renowned Lifetime Member

    It's a great experience to visit other European countries. Lots of people do.

    If you want to explore Europe (and more) and you are the holder of a Philippine passport you will need to apply for a visa to travel anywhere within Europe.

    Normally this would mean making application for a Schengen Visa.

    Generally speaking, with a Schengen visa, you can enter one country and travel freely throughout the Schengen region during the validity of the visa.
    You will find border controls are relatively limited with few stops and few checks.
    With good planning, actually securing a Schenghen Visa is not too difficult, but it can be frustrating if you're not prepared.

    If you have any specific country in mind you will need to apply at their Embassy/Consulate.

    You are usually required to book an appointment with the Embassy and apply in person, with all the needed documents.
    Be advised that normally the holder of a Philippine passport will not be issued with the visa on the same day. Maybe you need to wait a couple of weeks.

    It is strongly suggested that you check on the current regulations to determine which Embassy/Consulate to make your application.There may well be one closer to where you live.

    Schengen countries are:-
    Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal,Spain, Sweden

    These countries joined the Schengen Agreement on 21st December 2007
    Czech Republic, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia

    A typical Schengen Visa application form is shown here:-

    Fill out the form from the relevant embassy for YOU, not the above example and not just any!
    The typical form shown above is just to show what questions are asked, the questions are the same in all Schengen countries forms.

    The visa has to be applied for at the embassy of the country which is the primary destination.
    If there isn't one, for example a round trip without a majority of time in one country, then the embassy of the first country of entry.

    The visa issued is Schengen-C which is a visitor visa, it is valid for up to 90 days in a maximum six month period. The six month period commences with
    entry but cannot extend beyond the visa's expiry date.

    The good news is this, if you will be travelling together with your UK (EU) spouse there is no fee and the procedure is simple and quick.
    The European Commission expects under four weeks.

    The questions marked with * on the form (employment,resources,itinerary, Medical Insurances etc.) do not need to be answered.

    The entire form is only three pages long.

    Present your marriage certificate and your spouses UK (EU) passport as evidence of marriage to an EEA national.

    In this case, you can expect a 90 day visa with six month validity, quite possibly more, but five years is the maximum and not usually granted without
    extensive positive visa history. (Always maximum of 90 days in a six month period starting with first entry.)

    Any Embassy/Consulate that try tricking people into paying an agency for a COMPULSORILY FREE schengen visa for the spouse of an EU citizen is technically
    breaking EU law, if that spouse is travelling with an EU citizen.

    Schengen Visa Handbook:-

    Page 92
    (From part III which covers family members of EEA nationals.)

    3.2. Service fee in case of outsourcing of the collection of applications

    As family members should not pay any fee when submitting the application, they cannot be obliged to obtain an appointment via a premium call line or via an external provider whose services are charged to the applicant. Family members must be allowed to lodge their application directly at the consulate without any costs. However, if family members decide not to make use of their right to lodge their application directly at the consulate but to use the extra services, they should pay for these services.

    If an appointment system is nevertheless in place, separate call lines (at ordinary local tariff) to the consulate should be put at the disposal of family members respecting comparable standards to those of "premium lines", i.e. the availability of such lines should be of standards comparable to those in place for other categories of applicants and an appointment must be allocated without delay.

    It is possible that Embassies/Consulates either don't follow this or don't follow it correctly. That needs to be taken up directly with the embassy and/or
    ambassador by recorded delivery with a threat to sue for recovery of the fee if you have to pay it.

    If time is not pressing, then Solvit may be another option:-

    Interestingly, I discovered that a Schenghen Visa for Germany does not need a personal visit and can be obtained by post.

    Look Here:-

    This might be a help in some cases.

    Don't forget you can travel from Germany to other places (Paris,Barcelona Rome etc) on the way home.
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Aromulus

    Aromulus The Don Staff Member

    Made this into a sticky, as it is extremely useful.:like:

    Thank you, Sir....;)
  3. KeithAngel

    KeithAngel 2063 Lifetime Member

    The Portugusse are probably not the place to apply we also are filling out a Shengan and i still dont know about fees for carriage of documents to Indonesia clearly i will pay but return is more difficult

    Im planning a vist to them in london on the 20th
  4. yuna

    yuna Cat Lover Staff Member

    i just want to ask, if I have a UK visit visa stamped on my passport and I am currently in uk and I want to visit Paris, do I still need to apply for a schengen visa?
  5. Kuya

    Kuya The Geeky One Staff Member

    Are you coming to the UK? ;)
  6. one world

    one world Active Member Trusted Member

    Schengen visas within 48hrs as of 1/9/15

    Visa applicants holding a passport issued by China, India, Indonesia, Myanmar, Philippines or Thailand who apply with all required documents will now see their short-stay Schengen visa delivered in 48 hours (2 working days from the time the application is lodged).

    This measure is a result of France’s will to simplify the visa application procedures. This is much faster than the time-limit defined by Article 23 of European Regulations (EC) N° 810/2009 of 13 July 2009, which requires decisions on short-stay Schengen visa applications to be given within 15 calendar days from their submission date.

  7. Howerd

    Howerd Well-Known Member Trusted Member Lifetime Member

    @one world I assume that a 48 hour turnaround only applies if you were to apply at the French Embassy? By that I mean not at any other embassy for other Schengen countries?
  8. ChoiAndJohn

    ChoiAndJohn Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    Good question. My other half wants to go to Rome to see the vatican. This thread (which I had missed) is of great interest to me. .
  9. one world

    one world Active Member Trusted Member

    As the notice has been issued by french embassy, i suspect it is as you have stated.
    But London Embassy is stating 24hrs to 3 weeks

  10. Micawber

    Micawber Renowned Lifetime Member

    Some Embassies are pretty good. Others can be a pain.
    The French Embassy was always one of the better ones if not the best.
    It was generally known for granting longish term multiple entry visa's

    Hate to say but the Italian Embassy was one of the least helpful.
    Hopefully it may have changed.

    Rome and the Vatican City is a fabulous place to visit. Very highly recommended.
    Seemed to be plenty of Filipinos in Rome.
  11. ChoiAndJohn

    ChoiAndJohn Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    Is the visa valid for multiple entries? Would we (for example) be able to get a visa from the franch embassy, use it for a weekend in paris, and then use it go to Italy before it expired?
  12. Micawber

    Micawber Renowned Lifetime Member

    According to the Schengen rules it is generally valid for entry, travelling and exit and exit via any member state in the Schengen zone.
    Just note that technically you should apply at the consulate of the country which is your main destination. If there is no main destinations, such as a tour with equal stay in each member state, then apply to the consulate of the country which will be the first point of entry.
    Violating this rule isn't a major issue but can often lead to difficulties and delays with future applications from some Embassies.

    Two important considerations:-

    1. Recently there's been an increase in reported problems at some border crossing checks.
    To avoid any delay or problem I'd strongly suggest that you carry to hand copies of all the documents presented to the Embassy when visa application was made. (Marriage certificate is key)

    2. Carefully manage the number of days of stay in the Schengen zone as there is a maximum stay of 90 days within a rolling 180 days.

    So for each individual day in the Schengen area, count 180 days back and make sure you do not exceed the 90 day limit.
    An uninterrupted period of 90 days outside the Schengen zone allows for a new stay for up to 90 days.
  13. Micawber

    Micawber Renowned Lifetime Member

  14. ChoiAndJohn

    ChoiAndJohn Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    Thanks, that's useful to know. I wasn't planning to apply for a schengen visa for the family but if the process is free and reasonably quick and likely to succeed then that puts it in a whole new perspective. :)
  15. Kilo

    Kilo Member

    Reading the blurb on the German embassy site, it seems if you are married to an EU citizen, you can still apply by post. Might be useful - I presume UK passport holders are EU citizens for this purpose. I fancy visiting Berlin, so thinking about this
  16. hopscotch

    hopscotch Member

    Some great information on this thread , thanks.

    I wonder if members could perhaps post some more recent details of their experiences on here?

    i.e; Which countries embassies were easy/difficult to deal with.. . .is Schengen for Spain a pain? Do other countries besides Germany accept postal applications ? If indeed that's still the case. Provincial consulates as opposed to London. . . etc.

    Would love to have a weekend or short break with the wife in an undecided European destination but just getting over the trials and tribulations of her recently successful spouse visa for UK so really want to minimise the beurocracy!

    Cheers in advance .
  17. pip taylor

    pip taylor Member

    http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/spain-visa/ says you have to have dates of travel etc, give
    General required documents for a Spain Visa Application:
    • Download the application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Spanish Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy. Learn how to fill-in the Spanish Visa application form!
    • 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background. Learn more about photo requirements and specifications for a Spanish Visa.
    • Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
    • A copy of your return-ticket reservation. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa – if not otherwise required
    • Schengen Travel Insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000€ coverage within Spain and the entire Schengen area
    • A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Spain and itinerary
    • Flight Reservation with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Spain
    • Hotel Booking Reservation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Spain
    • Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
    • Means of subsistence – Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Spain. A foreigner who seeks to enter the territory of Spain needs to attest owning the overall amount for duration up to 10 days that is representative of a 90% of the gross national minimum wage (598.68€) that is 583.74€, while in case of exceeding 10 days the daily required amount is 64.86€.

    now that i do not understand , can anyone make sense of it for me

    wife wants to go to spain, but not happy with paying for flights etc before getting a visa
  18. Brom27

    Brom27 Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    Some travel agents will give you a booking reservation for the ticket for a certain amount without actually purchasing the ticket so try and get in touch with them.
  19. pip taylor

    pip taylor Member

    going to spain and looked at getting a visa for my pinoy wife on her first visa here 33 month visa . it says the visa is £170, for her , is this right or am i missing something. or is their another way to get her visa ??
  20. Brom27

    Brom27 Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    If she is on spouse visa she is entitled to get the Schengen visa for free and with a fast track application.

Share This Page